A Look Into SPAR
SPAR has Seven Divisions:
- Environmental Services
- Event Services
- Grounds/Building Maintenance
- Planning and Development
Maintenance, appearance and operation of City properties, including: government offices, fire stations, assembly facilities, recreation centers, parks, athletic facilities, cemeteries, flower beds, rights-of-way, and all municipal grounds.
Many special event facilities including convention and meeting facilities, entertainment venues and stadiums. SPAR is also responsible for programming, scheduling, equipment facilitation, site preparation, set-up, and clean up.
- 63 parks with more than 29,000 acres
- 18 Recreation Centers
- 5 Swimming Pools
- 46 Playgrounds
- 300 Flower/Rose Beds
- 4 Cemeteries
28 Highly visible grounds such as: The Barnwell Garden and Art Center, Festival Plaza and others. SPAR repairs & maintains the plumbing, painting, electrical, roofing, etc. of 125 city owned properties. SPAR provides a clean and safe environment in 52 city-owned facilities.
- 267,000 youth and adults use the recreation centers
- 65,000 adults and children participate in special programs offered at recreation centers citywide
- 6000 participate in track, basketball, baseball and softball leagues
- More than 300,000 citizens and tourists visit Independence Stadium and Fairgrounds Field
- 1.2 million visitors and citizens are served by SPAR through its role in festivals, special events, parades, trade shows and conventions